As with most of my creations, this is very easy to prepare. Toasted sandwiches have long made a handy snack or quick meal, and this is a new and tasty variation on adding bacon and eggs to a toasted sandwich.
- Bread slices
- Bacon rashers, rind and fat removed
- Onion, chopped
- Tomato paste
- Cheese slices
- Butter or Margarine
- Spread one side of bread slices with butter/margarine, and the other side with tomato paste
- Fry the bacon pieces, then put them aside
- Fry the onion pieces, then put them aside
- Fry the eggs, but keep the yolks soft - they’ll be cooked further while the sandwich is being toasted
- Assemble the sandwiches, buttered side outward, and cook in a preheated sandwich-press until golden-brown
And one extra tip: the sandwich-press I use has a moulded plate that seals the sandwich while it’s being toasted. But if you’re using a sandwich-press with a flat plate, be careful of egg-yolk or molten cheese spilling from the sandwich while it’s cooking. If you prefer, the yolks can be pierced with a fork or toothpick before going under the sandwich-press to reduce the possibility of splattering.