A dish borne out of something of a necessity - creating a dish from limited supplies and equally limited budget.
I already had the makings of the famous Bitzer Salad handy, and was struck with inspiration.
These were the ingredients I used, but I’ve since found out there are many variations on a theme in common usage, and these ingredients can be changed according to personal preference.
- English Muffins
- Tomato paste
- Pepperoni slices
- Onions, diced
- Shallots / Spring Onions, diced
- Capsicum (red), diced
- Garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
The first time I created these, I had used Parmesan cheese, which burnt far more readily than it melted. Burnt Parmesan is at best an acquired taste, and once I switched to Mozzarella the dish came together much more easily.
- Slice the muffins in halves to form the base of the pizza
- Spread the muffins with the tomato paste
- Arrange the meat and vegetables on top
- Sprinkle with the garlic powder, then cover with the cheese
- Grill under medium heat until the cheese browns